Sunday, March 9, 2008

Rain, Wind & More Fun Than We Can Handle in Flemington!

Thought I'd give y'all a brief update of our weekend:

1. Got rain - lots of it. Since our house sits low and all the run off from the homes around us comes through our property, simply stated, we get a lot of freakin' water! Our mack-daddy pump just couldn't handle it all and the situation was not made any better when I plugged in the wet/dry vac and blew the fuse that the pump was hooked up to. I flipped the breaker, but for about 5 min. the pump was out. The water didn't totally cover the basement, but Kev and I both agree that we need to do some grading outside to help with the water run off in some areas. So I got myself a great workout pushing water into the pump

2. Got wind - lots of it. As some of you may know, we've had problems with wind in our neck of the wind tunnel. In the 2.5 years we've lived here we've had to have patching work done 3 times. This time has been the worst. Our cheap builder grade roof (Thanks, Fallone - you guys are the best!) just can't stand up to the 60 mph winds. Couple that with the sun that beats down on the roof all day and you have a disaster waiting to happen. Happen it did. An entire garbage can worth of shingles fell (and I'm talking a huge big blue Raritan Valley Disposal can). Sooooo....now we are thinking just getting the roof replaced with a higher grade product and assessing our ventilation system (also building grade). I just have one question - why is it that the previous owners did not lose shingles? We can tell they didn't b/c the roof did not have any signs of patching - it was faded evenly across the house. Home ownership stinks!

3. Went to Espo's for dinner and got the bracciole. I love their bracciole.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding our landscaping or roof issues, please advise - leave a comment, email or call me.

No comments: